Monday, August 29, 2011

The L Word

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps record of no wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." -1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

I have been contemplating a lot about love lately and part of the process is reading the above passage over and over again, understanding and feeling each word and each sentence in the hopes that its truest meaning would stay in my heart until it becomes my own personal guideline on how to love someone right until I'm old and gray.

(Image Source: Teaspoon Vintage)

And just the day before yesterday, out of boredom, I popped in a DVD of A Walk To Remember. I didn't re-watch it; I just skipped to different scenes to aid my memory of the movie, which I last saw almost ten years ago. Then came the wedding part wherein the said passage was uttered (quite coincidentally and surprisingly for me) by the pastor (Jamie Sullivan's father).

Right then and there, I knew that this, indeed, is the real meaning of love and it's according to The Big Man Up There, no less. And I realized that no definition of true love can ever be more accurate, and a gift more beautiful to give to the next person I'd open up my heart to.

No comments: